Direct Allergy Helps Eliminate Allergies in Your Patients
- Percentage of the U.S. population that tests positive to one or more allergens: 55%.
- Rank of allergies among other leading chronic diseases in the U.S.: 5th.
- One estimate of the annual cost of allergies to the health care system and businesses in the U.S.: $7.9 billion.
- Number of workdays lost each year as a result of hay fever: 4 million.
- Number of weeks by which the ragweed pollen season has increased in the last 10 to 15 years, likely as a result of global warming: 4.
- Odds that a child with one allergic parent will develop allergies: 33%.
- Odds that a child with two allergic parents will develop allergies: 70%.
- Number of ER visits in the U.S. caused by food allergies each year: 30,000.
- Percentage of people in the U.S. that have asthma: 8%.
- On average, in 2008 children missed 4 days of school and adults missed 5 days of work because of asthma.
- Percentage of people hospitalized for asthma who are children: 44%.
- Number of deaths each year in the U.S. from asthma: 3,447 in 2007.
©2013, WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved